Saturday 19 September 2015

My election address for General Synod (but only Manchester Clergy can vote!)


I am Currently Priest in Charge of Sacred Trinity Trinity and St Philip’s, Salford. I’m also Borough Dean of Salford and Chair of the house of Clergy.  I count it a privilege to have been elected to represent the diocese on General Synod 5 years ago and during that time I have been elected onto Archbishop’s Council’s Finance Committee and am also serving on the committee of the Church and Community Fund.

I was ordained in Manchester 27 years ago and some might suggest that I’m not very adventurous in still being here. I’d like to think that I’m someone who is passionately committed to the urban church and understands the need for commitment and longevity of service. Although I’m originally a southerner, half my life has been spent in Salford and Manchester and I have been passionate in speaking up for the urban, northern church. We face challenging times in the church. In many parishes congregations are getting older and smaller. It is vital that we address the problems and find ways to increase stipendiary vocations and grow stronger churches. We need to ensure that this is done in a way that is culturally and contextually appropriate and not in a way that is imposed from London. This will mean some tough decisions and so for example not all of our current church buildings will survive.  We can’t just bury our head in the sand and hope the problem will go away. Ultimately it is God that brings growth but we need to be attentive to what God is telling us. I bring insights from 27 years of inner city ministry and now have experience of ministering in growing churches in a community that is predominantly people in their 20s and 30s. It is essential that we engage this younger generation in church life and although this isn’t easy it is possible.

I am passionately committed to the church being inclusive and voted for the legislation to allow women to be bishops. I am nervous of the discussions that we will have on sexuality but believe the church must be able to find a way to recognize and value the ministry of the gay community, both lay and ordained.

I have 10 years experience as a Labour Party councilor on Salford City Council and this gives me additional insights that I can bring to the role. I’m not easily pigeon holed and haven’t joined any of the particular groups on synod such as the Evangelical, Open Church or Catholic groups. I enjoy insights from the various traditions in the church and hope to listen for the voice of God in the mix that we are.

I hope that you might be able to support me to represent our diocese on General Synod again. I am of course very happy to talk more if you want to contact me.

Yours hopefully,

Andy

Andy Salmon
6 Encombe Place, Salford, M3 6FJ
Landline: 0161-834 2041
Mobile: 07990 585037
Email: andy@salfordchurch.org
Twitter: @salfordrev
web: www.Salfordchurch.org

No comments: